Link 1 | | Link 2 | | Link 3 |

Thursday, August 18, 2011

To Purge or Not to Purge

Since downsizing to a smaller home is now on the horizon I have been contemplating the idea of precisely what it means to downsize.  The Foolish One mentioned the concept of "living simple" and that phrase has been stuck in my head.

I'm certain that the idea of living simple is different for every person. Yet now I find myself trying to ascertain what living simply would mean for our family. The big looming question is how much of the stuff that we currently have are items we actually love, need and use?

Over the past couple of days I have been trying to wander through the house with a fresh eye; trying to focus on certain items and deem whether or not I'm still in love with them or if I can live without them; trying to determine which items we actually use and need.

Conclusion? There is a purge on the horizon. We have a lot of useless stuff and things that I've decided I no longer need/want (less stuff to dust? I'm all about it). The only obstacle is actually starting the process. I need to determine where to start and precisely where I'm going to start my purge pile.

Keep in mind that I also have the tendency of being a pack rat. So a major purge just is not in keeping with my nature at all. This is going to be an uphill battle.

No comments: