This morning found us getting up a bit earlier than normal on a Saturday than quite frankly we're used to. But since I've had the past two days off and needed to ensure that Eddie got his first round of antis early, I was up around 8:15.
One of our goals for the day was to go checkout the Farmer's Market. Which opens at the unseemly hour of 7 am. Apparently this makes all the difference when it comes to exactly what you're looking for. Who in the world shops for food that early in the morning? Well, I think I found my incentive to get up that early every Saturday morning... Cupcakes. Mack and I had a hard time tearing ourselves away from that table but we managed to walk away from the Chocolate Peppermint cupcakes. Next week I'm promising nothing.
In an attempt to support our local farmers, minimize our carbon footprint a little more, and supplement our own little garden with the items we didn't grow ourselves we are attempting to become locavores. That is where it is economically feasible. Yeah, I've already touched on the subject about how sometimes going green can be a little costly.
So we scored two dozen eggs this morning, some beautiful yellow tomatoes, and a bag of the most perfect looking lettuce I've ever seen. I'll almost feel guilty eating it. Almost. There were mostly greens in the way of produce this morning and some delicious looking strawberries but I reminded myself that very soon we'll have an abundance of those bad boys.
We thought about purchasing some locally grown beef, lamb, pork or chicken. Thinking is as far as we got. Because somehow I find it preposterous to pay over $5 a pound for beef when it is currently on sale at our local grocery store for $1.69. Going green does not mean I'm going to lose my ever loving mind and drain the bank account.
Now we're heading to the farm for Josh's graduation party! Hard to believe. Yet another youngun I've watched grow up that make me feel old. Damn it, children, stop making me old :)
1 comment:
I looooooove the farmers market. I liked it best when I worked 10 feet away and could walk over on my break! Also, remind me when I see you that I have a great contact for local beef. Grass-fed and packaged any way you want it. And not too expensive, if memory serves.
Post a Comment