It's official. The Aussie is adopted and already settling in quite nicely with Roo and Cooper.
I must admit that it is quite hilarious that Cooper is barking at, as of yet unnamed dog, to get his attention. The Aussie is oblivious :) He is stone cold deaf.
Mack went and picked up the crate this morning as well as the leash and collar. I made a mad dash after work to pick up the kid, stopped by the house to grab the leash and collar in anticipation of bringing him home this evening, and off to Staunton we went.
Upon our arrival I inquired about the Aussie formally known as Sean (to be replaced with?) only to find out that someone else was looking at him. My heart dropped. But then I reminded myself that he was deaf and that no one had been interested up until this point.
So the kid and I walked back to meander amongst the kennels and looked at all of the dogs. I must say that there were some really cute dogs. But I had my heart set on only one and I was determined not to leave with any other besides the Aussie.
As we wandered we came around the corner and there he was! Absolutely adorable. We took him for a short walk and it was soon obvious that he is totally deaf. But his personality more than makes up for this disability. Which so far doesn't seem to be much of a hinderance on him at all.
Upon discussing the adoption I was afraid that we weren't going to be able to bring him home tonight. My heart dropped. But then the lady said I could bring him home! Joy of joys! I have to go back to the SPCA tomorrow anyway now... because I forgot my checkbook and proof that Roo has had his rabies shot. In all the excitement I up and left our money :)
His vision is also questionable although he is so attentive to everything going on around him that it doesn't seem possible. Only time will tell. Where Cooper has one blue eye and one brown eye, both of the Aussie's eyes are tricolored.
Things I know about him thus far: he isn't too sure about car rides (this will change with time since Coop and Roo adore a nice jaunt), he has the potential to be a car chaser (funny since he didn't want to get in the Jeep), he is absolutely sweet as can be, and I'm positive that we made a good choice. He fits in quite well already and we've only been home an hour.
Roo adores him and thinks I've brought him a new toy. But Coop is a bit puzzled as to why he can't get his attention... This should be an interesting couple of days :)
No comments:
Post a Comment