Link 1 | | Link 2 | | Link 3 |

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Shelling Peas and Loosing Teeth

It was a long week at work. I ended up running "The Hill" at work. Don't ask. Describing it is entirely too long winded of answer, unless you've seen it you wouldn't get it, and I'm off the clock. Basically the end result of a day of running "The Hill" is me being ass tired and coming home to crash on the couch. Yup. Now multiply that by four days...

Thank goodness the weekend is here.

Today I did get up and go to the Farmer's Market. Without my son and without my hubby. Mack takes too long to get ready and I was determined to make it there before all the cupcakes had sold out. And oh, what delicious cupcakes!!! I was haunted all week long by the thought of those delicious little confections I had seen last week. Today I was not disappointed. Although there were no Chocolate Peppermint I did have my choice between Coconut or Blueberry...

I scored these tomatoes which just makes me even more anxious for our own plants to start producing:




I also picked up some peas that I had to shell myself. Generally I'm too lazy but once I set eyes upon them my thoughts turned to a Balsamic Pea Salad that we generally make with frozen peas that is delicious. My tummy convinced me that it would be even more delicious with fresh peas.

While shelling peas serenely in the sunshine by the kitchen window my ears were accosted by a most horrendous ruckous coming from the living room. As Eddie was laying at my feet I knew he was not the culprit. My son started yelling for me and I dashed madly into the next room. At first glance it appeared that Roo had wondered into Cooper's crate and Cooper was commencing to kick Roo's scrawny ass. Upon closer inspection it became obvious the Roo was indeed in distress and so was Ol' Coop. It seems that our dear little stupid mutt had got his lower jaw under Coop's collar and then had twisted the collar around his lower jaw. The horrible noise I heard was Roo freaking the fuck out while trying to remove himself which was literally choking the life out of poor Coop.

I found myself crawling into the crate with both the dogs and trying to calm down the frantic Roo so I could assess the situation. For a moment it seemed my presence was enough to allay both their fears. Until I tried to remove Roo. Then the ear piercing screeches began and the floundering. At this point I begin screaming for Michael who comes barreling down the steps. I quickly tell him what has happened and he tells me to get the scissors. Duh. I'm an idiot. Why didn't I think of that?

Except the scissors are not in the drawer where they should be. Then I'm yelling at Jacob because he likes to take off with my scissors. Michael calls for a knife and I then yell at him that he is not putting a knife near either one of those dogs. The way they were floundering around it would have been easy to stab either one of them.

I then locate another pair of scissors and the rescue commences. By this point we see blood. Which if you know me... Then you know that the site of the slightest amount of blood sends me into a mind boggling frenzy.

Mack manages to get Roo disentangled from Coop and then we had to assess the situation. Poor Roo thought he was in trouble and slinked into his crate. We had a hell of a time coaxing him out to see exactly where the blood was coming from. Ol' Coop was relieved to be able to breathe and also not to have the shrieking Roo attached to him. He plopped down with a huge sigh in front of the door. I looked in the crate to discover a small lone tooth laying in the bottom. Mystery solved of where the blood was coming from.

Roo was a bit shaken up but is now calm. He doesn't seem to phased by the fact that he had a tooth wrenched from his mouth. In fact he's been playing with Eddie. He's even grabbed onto Eddie's collar to drag him around for a bit. Seriously. Has he learned nothing? Stupid dog. Please note I say that with all of the affection in the world.

Yeah, the serenity of shelling peas while basking in the sunlight streaming through the window was lost. But then we did have these to help alleviate the stress of the situation:


Oh yes, they were as delicious as they look! That frosting is buttercream and there were even blueberries in the cupcake. I see a serious cupcake addiction developing. I'm already dreading the end to the Farmer's Market. I'm going to have to stalk the cute little girl who bakes these. Or maybe I could just ask if she has a shop.

(But then again, I am expecting some delicious cupcakes to be coming out of our dear YaYa Princess' kitchen real soon! She was the recipient of some extremely cool cupcake making gear at her Bridal Shower. Come on, Princess, feed my new addiction! Plus, you're less likely to get me thrown in jail if I stalk you for cupcake related reasons. I've been stalking your sweet ass for years and to your credit you haven't had me carted off yet!)

Meanwhile it seems that our garden doubled in size overnight! I was amazed when I went outside with the dogs to take some pics. I am in awe and impressed that we've actually got stuff growing. Marvel at our verdant veggie plants:




I hope you all OOHED and AHHED appropriately. It would be more impressive if I could take actual pictures of our own produce, huh? We're still not sure how we're feeling about the rock path around the garden. If they're going to be permanent we're going to have to put down some of the weed control fabric. See the weeds coming up already? Yeah, we're good at growing those too. Could be a good task for the boy this weekend.

Here is a shot of the Deaf Wonder Dog. Yes, he looks a bit like that crazed hyena from The Lion King but most pics of him look like that because of the coloring of his eyes. They are ice blue on the bottom so I'm afraid all pics of Edison will portray him as a rabid lunatic. Either that or he looks like he's toked up way too much:



To conclude, a pic of our other new additon, Elphaba! We call her Elphie for short. She is both extremely affectionate and playful. I told her to smile for the camera and in true Elphie fashion this is what she did:

Now, I'm off to load the dehydrator with the peaches that are finally ripe, clean, and start making some soap to begin stocking up the shop! I'm also going to order more soap molds today so that I can potentially crank out 4 batches of soap a day on my three day weekends. That is a potential of 336 bars every weekend as compared to 168. Not to mention that I can create 12 different types per weekend. I got to get cranking since it takes about 4 weeks for a bar to cure. Do have I have that many scents? Oh good grief. I'm soap obsessed.

Hi, my name is Casandra, and I'm addicted to soap, cupcakes, and clicking :)

No comments: