Things here on the homefront have been a little busy.
We've been planting an actual garden. Some rain delays here and there but it is finally all planted, except for the onions (which will get planted tomorrow)!! I did a bit of research to find a viable option for planting a garden with the space constraints we have. Seriously, we live in a townhouse and the yard is tiny. So I stumbled upon Square Foot Gardening. Really cool as it can be done in a minimal amount of space, and even cooler because this method actually throws out all of the old methods while making gardening more easy, less time consuming, and down right fun. When I locate my camera I'll take some pictures. I've put it somewhere so safe that even I can't find it....
Now everybody just keep your fingers crossed that everything planted from seeds actually comes up! Oh, and I've got 50 strawberry plants coming. Yes, I realize that is an insane amount of strawberry plants. But I wanted these nifty strawberry bags that hang to put my strawberries in... and they came with 25 ever bearing plants. But I wanted June bearing strawberries so I had to purchase those 25 separately. The bags hold ten plants apiece and since space is at a premium I thought we'd try the bag method for our strawberries. Luckily, I think I've found homes for the excess strawberry plants. I also inadvertently purchased 6 raspberry plants. I really only wanted two. So I must find a home for at least four of those. Good news is I only have one dwarf blueberry plant coming. Testing the water on the blueberry bush. If this one fairs well I'll add another next year.
I've also realized we're going to have cucumbers and tomatoes coming out of our ears. Thank goodness I love to can tomatoes. But I'm totally going to have to learn to make pickles. What are we doing with this plethora of fruit and veggies? Why we're going to eat some of it, can some of it, and freeze the rest in the nifty chest freezer I finally broke down and bought (thank you, Uncle Sam, for the stimulus payment).
The garden had to be planted this weekend because my next two weekends are booked. First is Allie's bridal shower (YAY!) this coming Saturday and the following weekend is a graduation party for Hoochie's son. Needless to say the Foolish One and myself have been busying ourselves with the task set forth to us of shower games, prizes, and party favors. We've surprised ourselves with one of the creations and I think we've managed to come up with some pretty interesting "games" to play. I can't really write about it now... Some of the people in attendance may actually be reading this.
The following Saturday I will be offering my services to Hoochie. I will be her "Bitch for the Day" which will entail doing whatever it is I can do to keep her from stressing too much :)
On the work front aspect of my life--as usual they are working me too hard. Although I think I'm partially responsible for this for being cross trained in so many different areas of my department as well as shipping.
But I must say that here of late I am really impressed with the Evil Empire. I like the initiative they are taking on the whole eco-minded front. I've actually witnessed some aspects coming into play in my very own DC. They recently started a "Green Team" to get the associates involved in sustainability and recycling. Which I'm strangely excited about. I've already got one idea to present to them concerning the recycling of CFL's. There doesn't seem to be anywhere around here that takes care of them. So on Tuesday I'll be seeking out on of the "Green Team" members and presenting my idea. I don't see how they can exactly refuse considering how much they are pushing the use of CFL's. It's a win/win situation: I'll buy 'em and so will others if they present the opportunity to safely dispose of them.
Mack and I are both looking forward to getting his kids this summer. Thinking about either a trip to the beach or a theme park for the day, as well as spending a week in North Carolina with Hoochie and her family at their house. Mack went for a brief visit a couple of weeks back which I missed out on. Which turned out was a good thing because my family was in the area for the weekend. My new nephew included!
But then that didn't work out because my rugrat came down with a fever and sore throat. We were house bound for the weekend since we didn't want to risk making everyone sick. So I have yet to see my new nephew :(
That pretty much concludes the excitement going on in our lives at this point in time. The fact that I'm actually excited about planting a garden pretty much sums up the lack of entertainment in our lives.
Married life. (SIGH)
2 comments:
Hi!!! If you need to get rid of raspberry plants, bring them with you this weekend. My daughter would LOVE to plant more stuff!! I am totally serious. Just let me know. :)
I am so excited for ya'll. Sounds like things are going well. I am so on board with the "going green."
However, what I see as a problem is-if you want people to recycle, there need to be more places take your recylables. In the county, we do not have the luxury of "curb pick-up." I think it is great and more companies need to be on board. Also, I think that if more stores want to encourage "going green." They should start giving out more reusable shopping bags, whether it be for every so many dollars spent or however they could work that. Anyhow, I could go on and on with ideas. Good luck with presenting your idea. Take care and Love Ya!
Post a Comment