Link 1 | | Link 2 | | Link 3 |

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

To Biodegrade or Not Biodegrade... That is the Question.

I'm sure everyone has noticed a certain trend in my last couple of posts... Going green. What can I say... The thought of helping out Mother Earth tickles me where I pee :)

Thanks, Jaime, for offering to give a home to some raspberry plants! If they get here by the time we head your way I will bring ya one or two. I encourage you to do a little reading about 'em simply because they can be a bit invasive (think blackberry brambles). I'm in love with the idea of being able to walk out my own backdoor to harvest some, all the while probably popping more in my mouth than in the bucket.

As one can imagine, with three people in the house, two dogs, one cat and one on the way--we generate about a bag of garbage a day. Add to that the scooping of the litter boxes (John Wayne has a bathroom on every floor spoiled kitty that he is) and keeping the backyard dog waste free. It is horrible to say this but our dogs generate quite a bit of... doggie bi product. Rather than bag that up we generally rake it out into a trench outside of our yard, but out of the way of footsteps. After all, it will decompose that way. Not tied up in a plastic bag.

I confess that we find using plastic shopping bags the easiest method of dealing with the cat litter but since we've started using our own bags there is a definite shortage of those these days. In fact, sometimes I find I leave the bags in the Jeep on purpose just so I can score a few. BAD me. So I decided to take the plunge and start shopping around for biodegradable pet waste bags... which led to biodegradable trash bags.

It is during this search that I realized why perhaps a lot of people haven't taken the plunge into going more green. In some aspects it is a hell of a lot cheaper. We make our own soap (okay, so I make the soap), cleaning products, and laundry detergent. But some items that would greatly benefit the environment are insanely expensive!! So far the cheapest I've found are 40 bags for about $18 not including shipping. I find that mind blowing. They're made out of corn and various other renewable resources for goodness sake. I mean... I'm pretty certain that corn is still cheaper than oil, right? Yet I can buy a roll of 70-100 plastic trash bags for around 7 or 8 bucks.

(Right now, Mack is reading this and I know he is swooning over the cost of what may be my latest "going green" endeavor. )

I'll have to mull that one over in my head for awhile.


Yet on my little searching excursion, I did find THE composter I have been searching for! (Which, now that I think about it, would mean less trash generated. Combine that with being more aggressive in getting things into the recycling bin and perhaps we could actually get our one bag of trash a day conservatively down to less than half a bag... Hmmm...)
I saw this composter on some random video I was watching online. I'd love to be able to give ya the link but I believe I've already confessed that I'm a clicker. I go where my mouse and right finger tell me to online. But by sheer dumb luck I found it. It also has a nifty little feature so you can harvest the "compost tea". Better yet, when we move it is actually small enough that I won't have to leave it behind!
(Right now Mack is wondering how much this little device is going to set us back. Magical words... FREE SHIPPING.)
So, while I'm contemplating those biodegradable kitchen bags (for a 13 gallon sized can)... all of ya'll reading this mull over the idea of whether you'd like to chip in on a case of those :) Hit me up. We'll crunch numbers.
Update on presenting my idea of providing recycling for the CFL's: the Evil Empire saw fit to let me leave early today so I didn't get to track down a member of the "Green Team". Tomorrow I plan on tracking one of them down.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it-I have one show trying to go entirely green. There's some cool sh*t out there but it's certianly not for the frugle. Cornstarch--cups etc--are big now as they biodegrage. I even have sample badge stock in my drawers that will be nothign but dust in about 2 years. Who ever would have thought that this planner would end up with the Green and JEwish meetings....oy. I have some cool resources if you're interested

Anonymous said...

Okay, for the whole cat and dog poo thing. You can get in ground disposal system. You add the poo, some water and the digester stuff and poof, it all breaks down and is absorbed into the ground. NO odor, so it does not attract insects. And it does not harm your lawn either. I know you can get them from Dr. Fosters and Smith, I am not sure of where else.