Link 1 | | Link 2 | | Link 3 |

Monday, June 16, 2008

A Buckcherry Breakfast

The Foolish One, the Punk Monkey and myself got up and made the trek to the Farmers Market on Saturday. It was the Punk Monkey's twelfth birthday so we had high hopes of scoring some delicious birthday cupcakes from the Cupcake Girl. Alas... the Cupcake Girl was not to be found. Which led to us singing "Do you know the Cupcake Girl?" to the tune of the Muffin Man. Yeah it was as bad as it sounds. But funny none the less.


Instead we procured a Birthday Mint Whoopie Pie!!?? He liked it. We also wandered around a corner to be greeted by the most glorious sight that we beheld that day at the Market: Cherries!! I think the lady selling those cherries found it a bit strange when I remarked that I truly wanted to climb up on that table and roll around in all the cherry goodness.


Trust me when I say that this picture does not represent their best side. I found it truly daunting to capture them in all their red cherry glory. Then the question presented itself as to what we were going to do with those lovelies. I don't bake and if I would have gotten a wild hair up my ass I'm sure I would have purchased a premade pie crust. What a waste that would have been. I could have made preserves but it seems such a shame to pulverize these precious gems in any capacity. So the question loomed over the entire weekend.

An item that caught our eye at one of the stands were these:


Middle Eastern Squash? Grown two miles north of Harrisonburg? I didn't know that the Middle East had squash. Oil yes. Squash... not so much. We were informed that they have a nuttier taste than other squash. I'm going to grill those bad boys today alongside of... Well, I haven't gotten that far yet. I also bought some more peas and see yet another round of that Balsamic Pea Salad in a future dinner.

The three of us had a lot of fun just tooling around town and doing some errands. We found ourselves going with the Foolish One to get her milk down on the farm. Then made our way to the indoor Farmers Market later that day. Where we spent entirely too much money and I think that our husbands will now wince anytime we mention we're going shopping together. The Punk Monkey spent some of his birthday bank on cheese and various food items. Which we found very surprising and as a strong indication that he is indeed growing up. In the past that money would have been spent on plastic army men or something along those lines.

A couple of more stops and we were finally at our respective homes much to the joy of our dear hubbies. The spending spree was over. Although I did manage to purchase a small bribe for Mack to ease the blow of exactly how much I spent. Yup, on Saturday Mack got his very first taste of pickled eggs! He found them delish and now I know I wouldn't be wasting my time by making an entire gallon of them.

Sunday was Father's Day. I thought we'd have a nice leisurely day and put all of our to do's on hold until later that evening. However, Mack opened up a can of worms when he decided to take his now very dead computer upstairs until he could build a new one. It started innocently enough and the next thing we know we're rearranging the living room and cleaning every nook and cranny. Yeah, it spiraled out of control. But now we have a nice clean living room and the dogs' crates are all lined up in a row.

Poor Coop was worried when we moved his crate from the corner that it has been in since his arrival. In fact he seemed a bit depressed by the idea that his crate may end up somewhere else. In the end his pitiful imploring eyes made the decision for us. He would like everyone to know that he is happy that his crate is still in it's original location. Though he isn't certain about having the whiny Roo for a neighbor now.

We also inadvertently created a racetrack in the living room with the placement of the furniture. Roo now grabs hold of the Kong and then he and Edison play a lively game of tag. It is quite amusing to watch. There is also a "dog run" from the front door to the back door and I pity the fool who gets in the way during play time.

Monday is now upon us and I decided to (gasp) make breakfast this morning from the Buckwheat pancake mix I bought during the course of our shopping spree. Low and behold I created this:



A Buckcherry breakfast! Buckwheat pancakes drizzled in honey with those fabulous cherries on the side... The cherries slightly tart taste was the perfect accompaniment to the sweetness of the honey and the fluffy texture of the pancakes. Not to mention the fact that the PM thought it was something spectacular from the clever name :) He even told me I rocked and he loved me... AHHH.

Today the cleaning spree continues. We're going to tackle the pantry and the kitchen. Then I hope (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed) to make some soap... An idea that was thwarted yesterday by the snowball effect of moving the dead computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be more than happy to be your cupcake girl. It is my passion to bake up other items that people love to eat.